The Liverpool striker’s father has spoken out for the first time since his release following his abduction by the ELN
Díaz Sr., visibly moved, said that there was no exchange of money before his release.
Luis Manuel Díaz, father of Liverpool striker Luis Díaz, has spoken for the first time since his release after being kidnapped by the National Liberation Army (ELN) rebel group in Colombia. Díaz was captured on October 28 with his wife Cilenis Marulandaand his release came after 12 days of imprisonment.
While Díaz’s wife was found shortly after the kidnapping, the 58-year-old was held captive for almost two weeks. In his first statements to the press after his release revealed the moving words he shared with his son Luis Díaz after the traumatic experience.
According to Luis Díaz’s father, his son said to him: “May he continue because things don’t end here, and may he have a lot of strength to recover from everything that happened.”. These words reflect the strength and determination of the Liverpool footballer in the face of the difficult family situation.
Díaz Sr., visibly moved, said that there had been no exchange of money before his release and was grateful that everything had been carried out legally. “There was no supply of resources, There was no need, everything was done legally, thank God they didn’t seek legal recoursebut that didn’t happen,” he said.
Luis Díaz was with the Liverpool team in France when his father’s release was confirmed. The Colombian Football Association issued a statement thanking the national government, armed forces and national police for the successful operation of liberation.